Requirements for Indian Visa
A common reason for rejection of visa applications is the failure to meet all the stipulated requirements as given by the government of India. Fulfilling all the requirements is necessary before visas issuance. These requirements are applicable for both electronically or through the physical stamp. These requirements include eligibility requirements, passport requirements, Indian visa photo requirements, traveling documents, and payment requirements.
- The first condition that must is that of eligibility by nationality.
- Ensure that you are a citizen of an eligible country before you start an application process.
- To be able to apply for an India visa online application of any category, for instance, you must be a citizen of any of these eligible countries.
Countries Eligible for eVisa
Passport requirement for Indian Visa
Another necessary document to ensure a seamless application process is a valid international passport. The presented passport has to fulfil the following conditions:
- Must have at least six (6) months validity left by the time of arrival in India.
- Must contain at least two (2) empty pages for fixation of approved visa stamps.
- If need be, travelers may be required to produce their former passport used during the visa application process.
Other personal requirements
- Firstly, travelers must have a valid email address for their application.
- In addition, several other details are required. They include the applicant’s full name, date of birth, place of birth, and contact address.
- Passport details, nationality, and travel history are also needed.
- Other information required are marital status, details of stay in India, expected port of entry, duration of stay, day of visit and educational qualification.
- Since for the e-visa categories, intending travelers are not to show up physically at an Indian embassy or consulate, different sets of documents are needed to verify the identity of the applicant and to support their intention to travel.
- A recent passport photograph (Indian visa photo) with white background (meets all photo requirements) is needed.
- To ensure that a traveler has an intention to return to his/her country after the visit, a return ticket has to be provided on arrival in India. A proof of funds to buy such a ticket may be requested in some other cases.
- Travelers from yellow fever affected countries will have to present on arrival in India a card showing that they have a vaccination for the yellow fever disease.
- Also, travelers may have to produce other documents and information such as those from MEA and MHA to support their application.
- Reference letters may also be requested.
Port of entry requirement
- Visitors coming into India with any Indian business visa, Indian medical visa, Indian conference visa, Indian tourist visa or Indian medical attendant visa have to enter through a chosen authorized port.
- There are 28 and 5 designated airports and seaports across the country.
- These are ports where there are immigration check posts (ICP) for e-visa holders.
- During the Indian visa application process, travelers will be required to select a preferred port of entry.
Here is a list of 28 designated landing airports in India:
Apart from the airports listed above, there are 5 sea ports:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Indian visa documents required for an Indian visa vary per application, per person. The general documents that are needed include international
passport.(with at least 2 pages left, and will be 6 months valid by the date of arriving in India) and passport photograph. Other documents like applicant’s birth certificate, marriage certificate, reference letter, invitation letter, government issued letter from MEA and MHA might also be requested.
U.S. citizens who intend to go to India for the purpose of medical, business or tourism can apply for an electronic visa online and get an electronic travel authorization ( Indian e Visa) in their email. This visa stays valid for between 60 days and 5 years depending on the type of visa. However, if the purpose of visit is different, U.S. citizens will be required to apply for a regular visa through the Indian consulate or embassy in the country.
Your India visa cost depends on the type of visa you are applying for and the country from which you are applying. The validity of the visa for which you are applying can also contribute to how much a visa can cost.
Approximately three days. Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, you can receive an electronic authorization for an e-visa within 24 hours and in a maximum of 4 days. However, other paper based, regular visas will be ready in approximately three days.
Yes, you can get a visa without any prior application if you are a citizen of Japan, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates. For UAE nationals, eligibility for visa on arrival is only possible if you have previously obtained an India e-visa or a regular visa. One general exception exists for anyone who has ties with Pakistan (grandparents, parents or self-born in Pakistan or has permanent residency status). Such a person is not eligible to use a visa on arrival in India.